Friday, September 20, 2013

Pinocchio

When I say Pinocchio, what is the first thing that comes to mind? Is it a growing nose? Because that is what I always thought of. That, I would dare say, is Pinocchio's biggest claim to fame. Imagine my surprise when it only happens one time in the entire movie! I mean, the whole thing is really just a casually mentioned thought in a passing conversation.
Pinocchio is Disney's second animated feature, and one of the few Disney animated classics that I had never seen before beginning this movie club. It was really nothing like I expected. Looking back, I really did not know what I expected, but it wasn't what I got.
A couple of things really surprised me. First, the aforementioned lack of nose growing. Second, is the fact that they used the other word for donkey (the one that starts with an A). I also was thoroughly disappointed in Pinocchio for drinking and smoking! I suppose the point of Pleasure Island is to show kids that those things are bad but, even so, you don't expect to see those kind of things in a Disney movie. I am glad that I watched this movie before I went to Disney world though, because it gave me context for Disney's night club "Pleasure Island". (So what Disney taught us as kids was wrong is now a major Disney attraction for us as adults?)
This leads me to an interesting question though--do you think it is better to show kids to things like drinking to illustrate that it is wrong, or to not expose them to it at all?
Third surprise--I didn't realize that Jiminy Cricket was not a very skilled conscience. As Pinocchio goes through various experiences and their consequences, Jiminy learns how to better guide him. I think that it is an intentional parallel to reality, as young children often don't have a great sense of what is right or wrong. In fact, technically speaking, our brains do not stop developing well into our 20's. I think that is why teenagers are pretty much the meanest species on the face of the planet.
Similar to Snow White there are some very deliberate morals or lessons throughout the movie; a characteristic that is somewhat lost in future Disney movies but that I quite enjoy. All in all, I think that this is one that I would maybe own and show my kids. I don't know, I still have a while to decide on that one.

On another note, did you know that Pinocchio gets hanged in the original story? It's true! You can download the whole story here. Don't worry--the story is public domain so it's totes legal. Chapter 15 is where you will find the hanging.

No comments:

Post a Comment